5th BIENNIAL NATIONAL SYMPOSIUM
DRUGS AND DRUG CONTROL POLICY IN NIGERIA
27-28 October 2021
Venue: Abuja (venue to be announced)
We are happy to announce the 5th Biennial National Symposium on Drugs and Drug Control Policy in Nigeria. You are hereby invited to present your work and participate in discussions on the drug and alcohol situation in Nigeria. Special attention will be devoted to the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic on the availability and use of psychoactive substances and other addictive behaviours.
The National Symposium serves as an important forum for scholars, policy makers, students and professionals interested in different aspects of drugs, alcohol and addictive behaviours in Nigeria. We welcome original contributions from a range of disciplines, including health and social sciences, the humanities, and media studies (especially social media).
The major theme of the 2021 symposium is:
SUBSTANCE USE, ADDICTIVE BEHAVIOURS AND COVID-19
Papers not related to this theme will be accepted for presentation at the symposium as long as they address any sub-theme in the list below or some other aspect of the substance use situation in Nigeria.
- COVID-19 and the epidemiology of substance use
- Management of substance use disorders in the age of COVID-19
- Drug supply and markets in licit and illicit substances
- Alcohol use and COVID-19
- Alcohol and drug policy
- Prevention of substance use
- Changing patterns of drug use during COVID-19 lockdown
- Behavioural addictions: gambling, gaming, eating disorders and internet addiction
- Community responses to substance use during COVID-19
- Drug and COVID-19 related stigma
- Use of new and indigenous substances
Apart from sessions devoted to the presentation of research papers, the conference will feature:
- Keynote addresses by invited experts
- Professional workshops
- Drug and alcohol policy panels
Venue and Important Dates
The venue of the national symposium will be a yet-to-be-determined hotel in Abuja.
Please take note of the following important dates:
Abstract submission deadline: 9 July 2021
Full Paper submission deadline: 27 August 2021
Early Bird registration: 27 August 2021
Arrival: 26 October 2021
Departure: 29 October 2021
Guidelines for preparing abstracts
- Begin with the paper title followed by author(s), affiliation(s).
- Capitalize the full title.
- The first and last names of authors should be written in full.
- Provide full contact information for the lead author.
- The main body of the abstract should be in one paragraph with no subheadings for the sections.
- Do not exceed 250 words.
- Submit as a Word document.
More information on pre-conference workshops, registration, travel, accommodation, etc. will be available on the CRISA website in due course. You can also contact us directly for such information.
All registered participants will be served lunch and tea/coffee for two days and will also receive conference materials, complimentary copies of the African Journal of Drug and Alcohol Studies, books and certificates of participation.
Registration fees are as follows:
Full registration: N35,000
Early registration (by 27 August): N30,000
Undergraduate students – N20,000
We are delighted to inform you that there will be sponsorship from the EU/UNODC project for a limited number of researchers whose papers are accepted for presentation. Sponsorship grants will be offered based on the quality of the paper and the needs of the researcher and will cover all expenses except the symposium fee.
For further information about the symposium please contact:
Ms Gloria Akpabio, CRISA, Uyo, Nigeria
Phone: +234 706 805 0330, +234 802 756 1365
Chair LOC: Dr Gboyega Abikoye, University of Uyo, Uyo, Nigeria
Information about registration, travel and accommodation will also be available on the CRISA website — www.crisaafrica.org.
Executive Director, CRISA: Professor Isidore S. Obot