The Centre for Research and Information on Substance Abuse (CRISA) hereby announces the
6th NATIONAL SYMPOSIUM on DRUGS AND DRUG CONTROL POLICY IN NIGERIA
The major theme of the 2023 National Symposium is:
Community-based approaches to substance use interventions:
Best practices and innovative programmes
Sub-themes addressing supply, demand and responses to problems include the following:
- Community epidemiology of drug/alcohol use and substance use disorders
- Illicit supply and drug markets
- Availability and use of new and indigenous substances
- Social and cultural factors in drug supply and demand
- Behavioural addictions: gambling, gaming, eating disorders and internet addiction
- Community factors in the prevention of drug and alcohol use
- Treatment of substance use disorders and harm reduction in the community
- Women and substance use
- Managing illicit drug problems with community-based alternatives to incarceration
- Stigmatization and discrimination against people who use drugs
- Role of the media, community leaders and civil society organizations in addressing drug/alcohol problems in the community
Papers that are not directly related to these sub-themes will also be accepted for presentation at the symposium as long as they address some aspect of the substance use situation in Nigeria and other countries in Africa.
In addition to sessions devoted to the presentation of research papers, the
symposium will feature Keynote addresses, Research and publication workshops, Discussion panels on professional practice and policy.
Venue and Important Dates
The venue of the national symposium is Watbridge Hotels and Suites, located at 11 IBB Way, Opposite Ibom Hall, Uyo, Akwa Ibom State, Nigeria.
Please take note of the following important dates:
Abstract submission deadline: 30 June 2023
Full Paper submission deadline: 28 July 2023
Deadline for Early Bird registration: 11 August 2023
Arrival: 29 August 2023
Conference: 30-31 August 2023
Departure: 1 September 2023
All registered participants will be served lunch and tea/coffee for two days and will also receive conference materials, complimentary copies of the African
Journal of Drug and Alcohol Studies, books and certificates of participation.
Registration fees are as follows:
Full registration: N40,000
Early registration (by 11 August): N35,000
Students (Undergraduate): N20,000
For further information about the symposium please contact:
Chair LOC: Ediomo-Ubong Nelson
Secretary LOC: Nsidibe Essien, CRISA, Uyo, Nigeria
Asst Secretary LOC: Gloria Akpabio
Phone: +234 802 756 1365, +234 706 805 0330
Email: email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org
Professor Isidore S. Obot, Executive Director
Email: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Information about registration, travel and accommodation will be available
on the CRISA website — www.crisaafrica.org.
We look forward to seeing you in Uyo in August.