14TH BIENNIAL INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON DRUGS, ALCOHOL AND SOCIETY IN AFRICA Abuja, Nigeria
The First Scientific Conference of the Centre for Research and Information on Substance Abuse (CRISA) took place in 1991 in Jos, Nigeria. In October 2020 the 14th conference in the biennial series will be held in Abuja, coinciding with the 30th Anniversary of the founding of CRISA in 1990. You are hereby invited to present your work and participate in discussions on the African drug and alcohol situation at the 2020 CRISA conference.
The CRISA conference on “Drugs, alcohol and society in Africa” serves as an important forum for scholars, policy experts, students and professionals working on all aspects of drugs, alcohol and addictive behaviours relevant to Africa. We welcome original contributions from a range of disciplines, including health and social sciences, the humanities, and media studies (especially social media).
The major theme of the 2020 conference is:
Substance Use and Addictive Behaviours: Emerging Issues and Trends in Africa
Papers not related to this theme will be accepted for presentation at the conference as long as they address any sub-theme in the list below or some other aspect of the substance use situation in Africa.
- Epidemiology of substance use
- Substance use and mental disorders
- Diagnosis and psychotherapy
- Prevention and treatment: New developments and approaches
- Suicide and drug use disorders
- Substance use and violence
- Tobacco, alcohol and drug policy
- New and indigenous psychoactive substances
- Behavioural addictions – gambling, gaming, eating disorders, internet addiction, etc.
- Drug supply and markets in licit and illicit substances
Apart from sessions devoted to the presentations of scientific papers, the conference will feature:
- Keynote addresses by invited experts
- Professional Workshops
- Undergraduate Research Poster Competition
- Drug and alcohol Policy Panels
Venue and Important Dates
CRISA 2020 will be held in Abuja (venue to be announced). Please take note of the following important dates:
Abstract submission deadline: 13 July 2020
Notice of abstract acceptance: 20 July 2020
Full Paper submission deadline: 24 August 2020
Early Bird registration: 21 August 2020
Application for sponsorship: 24 August 2020
Arrival: 20 October 2020
Departure: 23 October 2020
Guidelines for preparing abstracts
- Begin with the paper title followed by author(s), affiliation(s).
- Capitalize the full title.
- The first and last names of authors should be written in full.
- Provide full contact information for the lead author.
- The main body of the abstract should be in one paragraph with no subheadings for the sections.
- Do not exceed 250 words.
- Submit as a Word document.
More information on pre-conference workshops, registration, travel, accommodation, etc. will be available on the CRISA website in due course.
All registered participants will be served lunch and tea/coffee for two days. They will also receive conference materials and certificates of participation.
Registration fees for CRISA 2020 are as follows:
Full registration: N30,000
Early registration (by 21 August): N25,000
Undergraduate students – N15,000
International participants: $100
A limited number of awards to cover travel and accommodation will be available for people with papers accepted for presentation. If you are interested in being considered for the award you should submit your full paper on or before the 24th of August.
For further information about the conference please contact:
Ms Gloria Austin
Phone: +234 802 756 1365
Email: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Information about registration, travel and accommodation will also be available on the CRISA website — www.crisaafrica.org.
Executive Director, CRISA: Professor Isidore S. Obot
Members, Local Organising Committee: TBA
Members: Advisory Committee: TBA
With support from